Color Meaning and Symbolism
Color Meaning and Symbolism
I'm always incorporating color meaning into symbolic interpretations. As with anything, color adds an extra layer of depth, quality and meaning to the overall view.
When colors are shown to me, I typically revert to the chakras for intuitive cues. The chakras can serve as effective blueprint for color meaning. For example, the root ( Muladhara) chakra is the pilot light of the energetic chakra spine. It ignites our flame and speaks to us of passion. Appropriately, the corresponding color for the root chakra is red. Each chakra share similar corresponding color values. Associating these symbols with color meanings has been invaluable in personalizing and driving deeper meaning into the spectrum of hues.
Of course, nature in all her glory is the ultimate teacher. Nature is the most exquisite canvas, and observing colors in the environment craft a fine understanding.
Here are a few observations I use when interpreting color meaning. Along with a brief description of each color's symbolism I'm including planetary, zodiac, numeric correspondences. I also thought it would be fun to include healing properties, as many health practitioners work with color for healing purposes.
Lastly, I include a mantra. When you're using colors to underscore an intention, in your meditations, or for symbolic purpose you can incorporate a mantra like this to galvanize the properties of the color.
Have fun with this quick color chart meaning!
Symbolic Color Meanings
Think fire and blood - Red rushes to us with messages of passion, primal urges, action, pleasure, vibrance, radiance, and love.
- Red is affiliated with the planet:Mars
- Its zodiac sign is: Aries
- Red is associated with the number: One
- Employ the color red for: Energy booster, protection, enhances libido
- Red's mantra is: "I am ignited"
A nice subdued blend between the aggressive red and the high-pitch of yellow - Orange is about harmony, aspiration, sociability, contentment, and intelligence
- Orange is affiliated with the planet: Mercury
- Its zodiac sign is: Gemini
- Orange is associated with the numbers: Two and Four
- Employ the color orange for: Aid in decision making, enhancing cheer, confidence and assurance
- Orange's mantra is: "I am satisfied"
Worshipped in the form of the sun - Yellow is all about radiating creativity, protection, intellect, positivity and clarity.
- Yellow is affiliated with the luminary: Sun
- Its zodiac sign is: Leo
- Yellow is associated with the numbers: One and Three
- Employ the color yellow for: Helping inner vision, enhancing confidence and communication
- Yellow's mantra is: "I am centered"
The fresh start of spring brings waves of Green and with it comes attributes of youth, sentimentality, nature, adventure, growth and health.
- Green is affiliated with the planet: Venus and Earth
- Its zodiac signs are: Libra and Taurus
- Green is associated with the numbers: Four and Six
- Employ the color green for: Promoting compassion and overall physical health
- Green's mantra is: "I am accepted"
Look to the sky for the meanings of Blue - open spaces, freedom, imagination, expansiveness, inspiration, and sensitivity.
- Blue is affiliated with the planet: Jupiter
- Its zodiac sign is: Sagittarius
- Blue is associated with the number: Five
- Employ the color blue for: Healing the sense organs, aiding in balance and self-expression
- Blue's mantra is: "I am expansive"
Similar to the attributes of blue, but Indigo's energy runs very deep - consider the unknown depths of the sea along with emotion, strength, fluidity, persuasiveness, expressiveness, and pervasiveness.
- Indigo is affiliated with the planets: Saturn and Neptune
- Its zodiac signs are: Capricorn and Pisces
- Indigo is associated with the number: Five and Seven
- Employ the color indigo for: Invoking clarity of purpose, aiding in spiritual healing
- Indigo's mantra is: "I am deep"
The hue of fragile flowers and sleepy sunsets, Violet reminds us of spirituality, communion, grandeur, high-ideals, devotion, and peace
- Violet is affiliated with the planet and luminary: Uranus and Moon
- Its zodiac signs are: Aquarius and Cancer
- Violet is associated with the number: Seven and Twelve
- Employ the color violet for: Enhancing nurturing qualities, balancing sensitivity
- Violet's mantra is: "I am revolutionary"
Black is required for all other colors to have depth and variation of hue - it's a forceful feature and represents formality, dignity, force, convention, stability, and zero-tolerance.
- Black is affiliated with the planets: Saturn and Pluto
- Its zodiac signs are: Capricorn and Scorpio
- Black is associated with the numbers: Zero and Eight
- Employ the color black for: Promoting stability and protection, healing misunderstandings
- Black's mantra is: "I am endless"
Contemplate the brilliance of a new white snow and how it pulls a blanket of peace over everthing it touches - White stands for peace, cleansing, illumination, purity, innocence and the highest understanding.
- White is affiliated with the planets: Mercury and Moon
- Its zodiac sign is: Virgo
- White is associated with the numbers: One and Six
- Employ the color white for: Cleansing, establishing order, illumination and clarity
- White's mantra is: "I am illumined"
I hope you have enjoyed these color meaning correlations. Check out the links at the end of this page for more symbolic perspectives, including more aspects of color meanings.
An Important Note About Signs, Symbols and Their Meanings
Signs and symbols cultivate their meanings according to culture, context, passage of time in society as well as mass societal opinion. What's cool and highly important is that signs and symbols earn their most powerful meanings from our own personal perspectives.
This website strives to provide you with the best, time-honored information when defining signs and symbols. However, in the final analysis, "Beauty (and symbolism) is in the eye of the beholder."
Having said that, it's in our best interest to invest the time to do personal research on symbolic events happing to us. This website is just one perspective in an ocean of variety and diversity in the realm of symbolism. So dive it! There is a whole universe of deeper meanings to explore! You can start your research by clicking on the links at the end or to the side of this page. Odds are good I've got a follow-up article about this symbolic topic. ;)
As always, thanks for your willingness to learn more about the language of symbolism. It's a language that is universal and everywhere. It's super-groovy to travel with you on your symbolic path, and maybe offer a little translation along the way. Thanks for reading and exploring!